Train Birthday Party Ideas To Keep You On The Right Track!
Fun And Fabulous Train Birthday Party Ideas
That Are Choo-Choo Cool!
Do choo choo trains fascinate your child? Then allow me to help you to engineer a fun-filled train party for your little conductor! All you need to do when you hear that train whistle blow is make sure you have your ticket, get on board and get ready for fun.
Get ready to ride the gravy train of ideas. I'm not trying to blow smoke, but I will take you from the invitation to saying good-bye to all your co-engineers. All you need to do is climb aboard and start scrolling.
TRAIN BIRTHDAY PARTY INVITATIONS
TRAIN TICKET INVITATIONS
- Design a blank 3 x 5 index card to look like a train ticket on one side and the party details on the reverse side. Embellish card with train stickers.
TRAIN PARTY INVITATIONS
- Make a train out of card stock of different colors consisting of 2-3 cars and join them together with ribbon. For a pattern, use train cookie cutters. Decorate your train with buttons (for the wheels), glitter, train stickers, etc. Put party details on the reverse side and have them go across the rest of the cars too.
– Purchase postcards with train pictures on them and write the party info on the back. Add on the front of the postcard a small word bubble that says: "Wish You Were Here", "All Aboard!", "All Aboarrrrrd!", etc.
TRAIN CONDUCTOR PHOTO INVITATIONS
– Take a piece of shiny black 8.5” x 11” card stock, or use another fun color, into 2 different pieces. Fold each in half. Take a picture of your little one in a fun train costume, then trim that photo with some fun scissors, making it a bit smaller than your invitation. Glue it to the invitation to make it the front. Glue a word bubble to the front saying: "All Aboarrrrd!"
Take scrapbook paper in a lighter, coordinating design and write or type out the details for the party. Cut these pieces with fun scissors and then glue to the inside of your. Add something special by decorating with train stickers.
EMBELLISH READY-MADE TRAIN INVITATIONS
- Buy a few ready-made train invitations. Improve them by embellishing with ribbons, sequins, buttons, glitter and more.
Here are some fun wording ideas you can use on invites:
All Aboard For A Train Birthday Party Celebration!
Party Train Boarding Time:
Party Train Return Time:
Meet At Dawson Station (use your last name): (give address)
RSVP To: Conductor ( parent’s name) At (email address or phone #)
Choo, Choo, Chugga, Chugga, Chugga!
You’re Invited to My Train Birthday Party!
Claim Your Seat With This Ticket
Train Leaves From: (address)
RSVP To the Conductor (name of parent): (give contact info)
Tell guests to have their tickets with them to be admitted to the party. Use a scrapbook or hole punch to punch tickets when kids arrive at the train depot.
TRAIN BIRTHDAY PARTY COSTUMES
Tell guests they can come in costumes related to the train theme. Some fun ideas include train engineer costumes, Percy the Small Engine costumes, Thomas the Train costumes, etc.
As guests arrive, hand out whistles, red bandanas to wear around the neck and a fun conductor cap.
TRAIN BIRTHDAY PARTY DECORATIONS
TRAIN PARTY DECORATIONS FOR WALLS
- With your train birthday party theme, you can use many different colors for the party. Choose combinations of yellow, blue, red, black or green.
- Make a large sign for your yard that shows where the "train station" is for your guests. Use your child’s name (first or last works), as well as their age. For example, "Brown's Birthday Station - Track #5."
- Make a railroad track and lay it on the walkway to your home. Place long boards on each side of the walkway, then attach some planks of wood to make sure they are stable. Paint them black.
- Lay a train track on your walkway using black electrical tape to create the tracks or use some chalk to draw them on your sidewalk.
- Have fun making some fun train signs from poster board, which can be placed on the walls of the party area. You can also attach the signs to stakes, putting them out in the yard. They can read:
"RAILROAD CROSSING"; "RAILROAD PARTY CROSSING," "MEN AT WORK,” "CAUTION TRAIN AHEAD", "RESTRICTED! BIRTHDAY PARTY WORKERS ONLY"; "DO NOT STOP ON TRACKS"; etc.
- Make a ticket booth for your guests to pass by in which they must give the ticket master (mom or dad) or conductor (birthday child) their ticket before they enter the party area.
- Use disposable tablecloths in party colors and add black electrical tape, construction paper, or streamers to create train tracks running down the center of the tables.
- Place a train cup at each place-setting and then everyone may keep their cup as a favor.
- Twist streamers in party colors throughout party room.
Place curling ribbons and train balloons in party colors all through the party area.
- Hang a birthday banner on one wall in the party room.
- Decorate ceilings with big balloon bouquets and streamers twisted together in the colors you’re using for the party.
- Add streamers to your doorways so guests have to pass through them.
- Sprinkle train confetti on all the tables.
- Place a train pinata with a few balloons attached to it in the middle of your main party table.
- Use streamers or fishing line to hang up cool train postcards from your ceiling.
- During the party, have a toy train set up to run, adding some ambiance to the party.
- Sprinkle table tops with beans and brown sugar to look like rocks and dirt. Use some toy trains, toy railroad signs and toy buildings, make your own fun train centerpiece.
TRAIN BIRTHDAY PARTY GAMES & ACTIVITIES
- Use train themed posters to decorate the walls.
Add sine traffic lights to create the atmosphere of a railroad zone.
- Post "Keep Out" signs on areas you don’t want party guests to enter.
- Add personalized construction banner for birthday conductor.
- This site offers some excellent Printable Birthday Games
you can use for a fun party.
This page is packed with great Train Party Games and Activities
TRAIN BIRTHDAY PARTY FOOD IDEAS
- Make a Train #1
- Make a Train #2
- Station Master Says
- Train Race
- Coal Toss
- Pin the Caboose on the Train
- Find the Train
- Red Light, Green Light
- Train Pinata
- Train Activity Stations
– Make some jelly and peanut butter sandwiches, then cut each one in half. Place a clean tablecloth out on one table. Use celery and carrot sticks to make train tracks going down the table. At the start of the food tracks, put a toy train engine. Then, line the sandwich halves up like train cars. Slice bananas into slices, using some peanut butter to secure them as wheels to each sandwich train car.
– Tasty hot dogs.
- Serve up some nuts, pretzels, cookies, crackers, chips and goldfish in clean train cars.
– Make a great sugar cookie recipe and use cookie cutters, such as caboose, railroad signs, train cars and train engines, to cut out the cookies. Decorate.
– These tasty foods are sure to please the kids:
TRAIN BIRTHDAY PARTY CAKES
- Chicken nuggets
- Ranch dressing with veggies
- Cheese and crackers
- Fruits, such as grapes, bananas, apples and strawberries
- French fries or tater tots
- Macaroni and cheese
- String cheese
- Graham crackers
When throwing a train birthday party, you can find many great train birthday cake options to try.
CHOO-CHOO TRAIN CAKE
– Buy a Wilton’s 3-d train engine cake pan. The pan snaps together and has all the instructions you need to make a great cake. Everyone is sure to enjoy this fun, beautiful cake.
- Use a train-shaped cake pan and decorate it according to the pan's directions.
MINI TRAIN-SHAPED CAKES
– Buy the Wilton’s mini train pan set. It comes with six mini cake pans so you can make mini cakes. All the instructions are available and you will be able to make three different types of train cakes. These tiny engines will have your guests shouting out, "Full Steam Ahead."
THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE BIRTHDAY CAKE
– Buy or make your own sheet cake. Then, frost it with white frosting. Place a Thomas the Train edible sugar image on the cake for an easy cake that looks great.
TRAIN BIRTHDAY PARTY SHEET CAKE
– Frost a sheet cake with white icing. Use red or black string licorice to make a train track on the cake. Add plastic trains, trees, shrubs, signs and more.
THOMAS & FRIENDS BIRTHDAY CUPCAKES
– Start with white cupcakes, whether you buy them or make them yourself. Start decorating the cupcakes with blue, yellow or green frosting. Swirl in some colored decorating gel, then top with a Thomas the friend cupcake ring.
– Take a big piece of cardboard, covering it with some foil. Make black tracks on top of the foil. Then, use some train molds for cupcakes, making enough cupcakes for all your guests. Decorate every car a bit differently. You can use some decorating gel to write the name of each guest on one car. Put the cars on the tracks, letting them touch each other slightly. Pipe out a frosting connection between each car. Make the engine for the birthday kid, decorating it to look extra special.
Be sure to take a look at the TRAIN CAKES
our visitors have submitted. You'll find some great photos and tips on hot to make your own choo-choo cake!
TRAIN BIRTHDAY PARTY FAVORS
Send each of your little engineers home with a train printed favor bag or red bandana filled with train-related goodies. Things like:
- Train puzzles
- Train stickers
- Toy trains
- Train books
- Train coloring books and crayons
- The Little Engine That Could book
- Train-shaped suckers, etc.
If you're interested in a favor set, the above train favor kits all contain various items. Things like an assortment of stickers, whistle, Wacky Whirler, cookie cutter, Playtime dough, are just a few of the items that might be included in these adorable favor boxes.
Train Birthday Party Ideas
Do you have some favorite train birthday party ideas? Do tell! Please share all your party tips and ideas for invitations, decorations, games, etc.
Return To Top Of Train Birthday Party
Return To Top Of Kids Birthday Party Ideas
Return To Home Page - Birthday Party Ideas