Pirate Sayings, Pirate Words & Pirate Quotes
Fun And Fabulous Pirate Sayings
Guaranteed To Create Swashbuckling Fun!
Pirate lingo will help everyone to get into the mood of walking, talking, and acting like a pirate.
Whether you're in need of some pirate words for "International Talk Like A Pirate Day" on September 19, or you're going to a pirate theme party, we've got some of the best phrases to help you with your pirate talk.
If you are hosting a pirate party and are looking for some Pirate Party Ideas
, here's a lot of great options for invitations, decorations, costumes, ye ole' pirate food, cakes, and favors.
Meanwhile, here's some ideas to convince even Blackbeard himself that you are truly a man of the sea. These are some of the most popular and easy pirate sayings to learn:
- Aaarrrggghhh - Hello, good-bye, disgust.
- Ahoy - Hello!
- Ahoy Matey - Hello my friend!
- Ahoy Me Hearties! - Hello my friend!
- Avast - Stop.
- Aye - Yes.
- Aye Aye - I'll get right on it.
- Barter - Trade goods or services.
- Belay - Stop that.
- Black Flag - Jolly Roger - skull and crossbones.
- Black Spot - Mark someone for death.
- Blimey - Surprise.
- Blow Me Down - Expression of shock and disbelief.
- Blow The Man Down - Command to kill someone.
- Booty - Loot or treasure.
- Buccaneer - Pirate.
- Bucko - Buccaneer.
- Cap'n - Captain.
- Cat O' Nine Tails - A whip with 9 strands.
- Crow's Nest - Small platform neat top of a mast where lookout stands.
- Davy Jones' Locker - The bottom of the sea.
- Dead Man's Chest - Coffin.
- Dead Men Tell No Tales - Leave no survivors.
- Dog - Friendly insult.
- Fair Winds! - Good-bye, good luck.
- Feed The Fish - What you do when you're thrown into the sea.
- Flogging - Whipping.
- Gangway - Get out of my way!
- Grog - Alcoholic drink.
- Grub - Food.
- Head - Ship's toilet.
- Heave Ho - To give it muscle and a push.
- Hornswoggle - Cheat.
- Jolly Roger - Pirate flag.
- Lad - Young boy.
- Landlubber - Someone who doesn't go to sea and stays on land.
- Lass - Young girl or young woman.
- Lily-Livered - Coward.
- Matey - Shipmate or friend.
- Me - My.
- Me Proud Beauty - Pretty woman.
- Mutiny - Open rebellion.
- Old Salt - Experienced sailor.
- Pillage - Rob or plunder.
- Poop Deck - Part of the ship farthest to the back, usually above Captain's quarters.
- Powder Monkey - Boy in charge of bringing gunpowder to gunner.
- Sea Dog - Old pirate or sailor.
- Scallywag - Scoundrel or troublemaker.
- Shark Bait - Anyone thrown overboard without a life jacket.
- Ship-Shape - Cleaned up and under control.
- Shiver Me Timbers! - Surprise.
- Son Of A Biscuit Eater - Insult directed at someone you don't like.
- Swabbies - Insult.
- Thar - There.
- Thar She Blows - Whale sighting.
- Walk The Plank - Punishment. Person walks off board over the side of the ship.
- Weigh Anchor - Pull up the anchor.
- Wench - Woman.
- Ye - You.
- Yo Ho Ho - Pirate laugh.
Now that ye got a few key pirate words under yer belt, throw on yer pirate best, patch yer eye, pop a parrot on yer shoulder, and get ready to par-tay!
When all else fails, throw in a "ye" instead of "you"; a "yer" instead of "your"; an "aye" instead of "yes"; a "nay" instead of "no"; and a "we be pillagin', plunderin' etc." instead of We are going to pillage, plunder, etc."
You'll also want to be sure to work on your pirate accent so ye don't be soundin' like a landlubber. Remember, insults are a key part to using pirate lingo and pirate sayings. So don't forget to have a bit of a salty tongue when ye open yer trap to speak forth yer pearls of wisdom.
Return To Top Of Pirate Sayings
Return To Pirate Party Ideas
Return To Home Page - Birthday Party Ideas