Mardi Gras Theme Party Ideas To Bring Bourbon Street To Your Home
Fun And Fabulous Mardi Gras Theme Party
When You're Looking To Create A Rip-Roaring Good Time!
When you think of a Mardi Gras party, do you think of music, dancing, colorful decorations and elaborate costumes, wonderful food, and fun times? Then you are not alone. These are some of the key ingredients for creating a great Mardi Gras party. This is a theme in which you will never be lacking for ideas. You'll probably have a harder time paring down to the essentials with a few fun extras!
So, if you happen to have a friend or a loved one who has a birthday, on or near Mardi Gras and you've decided to capitalize on this theme, I have got some ideas to help you create a G-rated version of this fun celebration. So get ready to party on down Bourbon Street and let the good times roll!
MARDI GRAS THEME PARTY INVITATIONS
COURT JESTER HAT INVITATIONS
– The court jester hat is a popular symbol that surrounds Mardi Gras and it makes a perfect idea for your Mardi Gars theme party invitations. Start with pieces of white cardstock folded into the shape of invitations. Print off some pictures of Court Jester hats from the internet. Color the court jester hats in purple, gold and green. Then, cut out the hats and attach them to your invitations using some glue. On the front of the invites, write “The Court Jester Requests Your Presence.” Then, inside write the following:
“ You’re invited celebrate a Mardi Gras birthday
And arriving in fun costumes is definitely okay.
There’ll be dancing, singing and cake for everyone,
So be sure to arrive on time to enjoy all the fun!”
Include all the party information beneath this fun rhyme and any special instructions for your Mardi Gras party.
- To help get your guests into the Mardi Gas mood, prepare a CD of Dixieland jazz and write/type the party details onto a CD label. Be sure to tell guests to wear their best Mardi Gras costumes. Either put the CD in a CD mailer and mail to guests or hand-deliver.
MARDI GRAS MASK INVITATION
- Create a colorful mask, decorate with sequins, glitter, and feathers. On the opposite side insert all your party info that your guests will need to know. Either pop the masks into envelopes and mail or hand-deliver.
Mardi Gras Party Invitations
MARDI GRAS POSTCARDS
- Write party details on the back of colorful Mardi Gas postcards and mail to guests.
MARDI GRAS BEAD INVITATIONS
- Select a piece of colorful card stock and type out or write out the party particulars. Then laminate and attach to some Mardi Gras beads. Put into a padded envelope and mail or hand-deliver.
MARDI GRAS THEME PARTY COSTUMES
Of course, what is a great Mardi Gras party without costumes? Half the fun of having a Mardi Gras theme party, is getting decked out in a fun, colorful costume. When you think of a Mardi Gras party, you think of wearing lots of colorful beads, wild hats, colorful masks, and dramatic costumes.
Have your guests show up to the party in fun costumes, such as court jester costumes, king costumes, queen costumes and anything else they can think of. Remember, the main colors for the party will be gold, green and purple. If guests don’t want to wear traditional costumes, they can always show up in Mardi Gras colors. Of course, Mardi Gras beads should definitely be a party of everyone’s costume. Don’t forget, masks are also popular, so you can have guests show up wearing masks. If you want to make it easy for guests, you can always provide some masks and Mardi Gras beads for them to wear when they arrive at the Mardi Gras theme party.
MARDI GRAS THEME PARTY DECORATIONS
The traditional must-have colors for a Mardi Gras theme party are purple, gold, and green. I have put together a few ideas to get you started in turning your home into a tamer version of Bourbon Street.
Start by greeting your guests in Mardi Gras style with a vibrant archway for everyone to walk through as they enter your home. The above showcases a few options that would make for a grand entrance.
MARDI GRAS DECORATIONS FOR WALLS & DOORWAYS
- For decorating magic, nothing beats gossamer's versatility. Use it for backdrops, accent columns, walls, windows, floors, and ceilings.
- Another decoration option that works similar to gossamer for the walls would be to use Mardi Gras patterned paper to instantly transform blah white walls into a party room that exudes Bourbon Street.
- Make it fun to walk through your doorways by hanging theme decorations to make that boring doorway come to life--Mardi Gras style!
- Hang colorful fabrics on the walls.
- Give your walls a splash of color by decorating them with some large Mardi Gras masks.
- Another way to bring your walls to life is to create some fun signs to hang on the walls that say "French Quarter", "Bourbon Street", "Jackson Square", etc.
- Bring your walls to life and transform your party room into Bourbon Street with fun wall cut-outs and decor.
MARDI GRAS DECORATIONS FOR CEILING & PARTY ROOM
- Place balloons and curling ribbons in Mardi Gras party colors throughout party room.
- Twist streamers in party colors throughout party room.
- Pile up Mardi Gras beads on various surfaces to add color.
- Light up the room with colorful Christmas lights. Use enough so you can see, but not so many that you remove the ambiance.
- Intertwine white Christmas lights in plants.
- Hang Mardi Gras foil swirls from ceilings.
- Wrap Mardi Gras garland around bannisters, doorways, windows, tables, etc.
- Place colorful flowers in colorful vases and display throughout party room.
- Have plenty of fun hats and noisemakers to hand out to your guests.
- Play jazz and Dixieland music in the background.
MARDI GRAS DECORATIONS FOR TABLE
- Use tablecloths in party colors with contrasting overlays and brightly colored dishes.
- Sprinkle colorful confetti on top of the tablecloths.
- Place lots of colorful Mardi Gras party coins on tabletops.
- Decorate tables with balloon bouquets made inside of court jester hats.
- Hang brightly colored paper lights around the room to add ambiance and bring bourbon Street home.
- Place small tables that seat 4 around party room, cover with tablecloths, and add 3-5 candles on a glass tray.
- Use beaded bracelets as napkin rings.
MARDI GRAS DECORATIONS FOR PHOTO-OPS
- To create a fun photo-op that your guests will love posing for, be sure to select any combination of a striking archway, standees, or super large masks.
- If you plan on crowning a king and queen of Mardi Gras, be sure to have crowns, scepters, and royal purple robes. If you aren't going to have a crowning ceremony, these items would be great to create a photo-op area or just use for decorations.
MARDI GRAS THEME PARTY GAMES & ACTIVITIES
To give your guests an extra-good time, be sure to plan ahead and have several games ready to go. To get you started thinking in this regard, click over to my Mardi Gras Games and Activities
page and check out these games and see if any of them might be appropriate for your crowd:
- Mardi Gras Pageant
- Gather The Beads
- Costume Contest
- Mardi Gras Limbo
MARDI GRAS THEME PARTY FOOD IDEAS
Although spicy Cajun and Creole food are a must for a Mardi Gras party, you should plan on having some mild dishes for the faint at heart.
- You can either make individual shrimp cocktails or present one big tray of shrimp. Be sure to offer up some cocktail sauce to go with your shrimp. I personally like the spicy kind, but for those who don't like it hot, be sure to have mild on hand.
- Fire up the Bar-B and cook up some yummy kabobs. You can make your kabobs go a bit further by alternating your shrimp with some cut-up veggies. Be sure to serve them with melted butter, lemon wedges, and cocktail sauce.
- Traditionally this dish is made in 3 pots. using chicken, spicy Italian sausage, vegetables, and rice.
- As you comb through hundreds of seafood gumbo recipes, you will soon discover this is a labor-intensive dish. It may include shrimp, oysters, crabs, crabmeat, onions, bell peppers, celery tomatoes, okra, rice, spices, and some type of roux, which is either a mixture of peanut oil and white flour or butter and white flour.
Mardi Gras Theme Party Food
- For Mardi Gras authenticity, serve a Louisiana-style chicken gumbo.
- To bring Bourbon Street to your door, be sure to order authentic Louisiana crawfish and seasoning.
MARDI GRAS RICE
- This is a great side dish sporting Mardi Gras colors with ingredients of green peas, green peppers and onions, yellow corn, purple cabbage.
BLACK BEAN & RICE
- A flavorful dish that brings Mardi Gras colors to the table with ingredients of green zucchini, yellow squash, purple eggplant.
- Homemade cornbread and honey butter is a must-have item for your Mardi Gras theme party.
MARDI GRAS PUNCH
- Mix together the following ingredients into a large punch bowl:
1 can (48-oz) pineapple juice unsweetened
1 bottle (40-oz) grape juice
1 bottle (2-liter) Sprite
Add an ice ring and slices of limes, lemons, and oranges and serve immediately.
NON-ALCOHOLIC HURRICANE PUNCH #1
- Mix up your ingredients in a big punch bowl. Stir together:
(48-oz) Pineapple juice
(48-oz) Ginger Ale
(12-oz) Thawed out frozen limeade concentrate
(16-oz) Chilled water
(6-oz) Thawed lemonade concentrate
Again, add an ice ring to keep the punch cold and garnish it with fruit slices.
NON-ALCOHOLIC HURRICANE #2
- Combine 2 ounces of passion fruit and 1 ounce of lime juice. Pour over glass filled with ice. Add club soda or lemon-lime beverage like Sprite. Garnish with wedge of lime.
MARDI GRAS THEME PARTY BIRTHDAY CAKES
MARDI GRAS COLORS CUPCAKES
– If you want a simple cake idea for your Mardi Gras theme party, go with some cupcakes. They are easy to make and always a favorite with guests. Start with basic cupcakes – you can make them from a white cake mix and then add food coloring to color them purple or green. Ice the cupcakes in white icing, which will stand out from the green or purple cupcakes. Then, to make them look great, top the cupcakes with some purple, green or gold edible glitter or sugar. The cupcakes will sparkle and will definitely look wonderful on your food table.
FLEUR DE LIS BIRTHDAY CAKE
– The Fleur de Lis is a popular French symbol that surrounds the Mardi Gras celebration, so consider using it for your cake. Print off a picture of a Fleur de Lis from the internet. Bake a double layer round cake, choosing any flavor you want for the cake. Combine the layers, using frosting to keep the two layers together. Then, frost the entire cake in a festive green icing, which will be the background. Use your printout of the Fleur de Lis as a template and create a Fleur de Lis on your cake, creating it out using some purple icing. Top with some edible glitter to really make the Fleur de Lis stand out.
Mardi Gras Cake
MARDI GRAS CROWN BIRTHDAY CAKE
– Purchase the Wilton crown pan, which is often used to create princess crown cakes. Follow the directions to bake the cake, placing cake batter in the pan and baking. Instead of icing it like a princess cake, ice the cake to look like a Mardi Gras crown. Make the background of the crown white with white icing. Then, use purple and green icing on the prongs of the crown. Add gold icing for the circles at the tips of the crown and use gold for the very base of the crown. Write a birthday message in purple on top of the gold crown base.
- The King Cake a Mardi Gras tradition has a trinket or plastic baby hidden inside the dough. The person who gets the "lucky" piece throws the next party. King Cake more closely resembles a sweet bread than a cake. It is decorated in Mardi Gras colors of purple denoting justice, green representing faith, and fold symbolizing power.
To create an easy version of this "cake", buy refrigerated Cinnamon Bun dough, purple, green and golden yellow sprinkles. Prepare dough according to package directions. Insert trinket into baked bread. Drizzle icing over bread, followed by the sprinkles.
For some more fun cake ideas, visit my MARDI GRAS CAKE
page of photos and see if anything sparks your interest or perhaps gives you an idea that you can alter a bit and make a cake that is yum to the tum and easy on the eye!
MARDI GRAS THEME PARTY FAVORS
Favors aren't necessary for an adult birthday party, but they are always a welcome addition. If you decide you do want to give your guests a little something, you might consider going with the obvious--Mardi Gras beads and/or masks.
Mardi Gras Theme Party Ideas
Do you have some favorite Mardi Gras theme party ideas? Do tell! Please share all your party tips and ideas for invitations, decorations, games, etc.
Return To Top Of Mardi Gras Theme Party
Return To Adult Birthday Party Ideas For Other Party Themes
Return To Home Page - Birthday Party Ideas