Graveyard Scavenger Hunt Ideas
Fun And Fabulous Graveyard Scavenger Hunt
The Perfect Birthday Addition For Your Adventurous Crew!
There's just something about having a scavenger hunt at a graveyard that can add an extra element of fun. Not to put a damper on things, as I've certainly had my fair share of funerals and they are far from fun, but I do personally enjoy going to a graveyard and reading the headstones, looking at the photos of people, thinking about their lives, and all that goes with those kinds of thoughts. Since I live in California, I've even spent a day at the Forrest Lawn Cemetery which was simply amazing.
A Cemetery Scavenger Hunt is ideal for a kid's birthday party, a tween or teen get together. First of all, you'll want to assess your group to be sure they're cemetery material, so to speak. In other words, will your group be respectful while on the hunt and not cause any kind of a ruckus or disturbance that would interfere with anything that might be going on. If the answer is a resounding "Yes", then you'll want to be sure to lay a few ground rules before you send everyone out. Here are a few things that you will probably want to instill within your hunters:
- If anyone is visiting a grave, be sure to not disturb thme in any way.
- Do not touch, move, or remove any flowers that might have been placed on a grave.
- No "grave rubbings" allowed. This can cause damage to the markers or headstones which can ultimately make it hard or impossible to read. When a piece of paper is placed over the letters or design and rubbed with a pencil, crayon, or other implement, this is known as "grave rubbing".
Once everyone understands what is expected of them, you can then proceed to divide the kids into teams, give them each a list of graveyard items to photograph, a time limit in which to complete the hunt, and then let them cut loose and have a ball! To help get you started developing your own hunt, here are several items and/or categories of items that you might want to consider adding to your cemetery scavenger hunt.
GRAVEYARD SCAVENGER HUNT LIST
Have your participants try to obtain videotape, digital or Polaroid photos of each of the items on the graveyard scavenger hunt list.
Headstones and grave markers sometimes have pictures or carvings of various items on them. Find markers or headstones that have the following:
- __________Cross and crown
- __________Praying child
- __________Star of David
- __________Teddy Bear
Headstones and grave markers are created in various styles, sizes, and shapes. Find headstones or grave markers that have the following shapes:
- __________Cross Headstone
- __________Double headstone with 2 vases
- __________Double heart monument
- __________Garden memorial boulder
- __________Headstone with vase
- __________Memorial bench
- __________Memorial tree stump
Sometimes grave markers and headstones provide more info than just the person's name, date of birth, and date of death. Locate headstones or markers that have the following:
- __________Beloved husband and father
- __________Beloved wife and mother
- __________Forever in our hearts
- __________In memory of
- __________Our loving parents
- __________Rest in peace
- __________Sleeping with the angels
Locate grave markers, mausoleums, or tombstones, that have the following:
- __________Earliest birthday you can find
- __________Oldest tombstone you can find
- __________Same birthday as a team member
- __________Shortest life span you can find
- __________Longest life span you can find
- __________Longest last name you can find
- __________"Saint" appears on it
- __________Shortest last name you can find
- __________Someone from another country
- __________Someone who served in military you can find
- __________Photos of as many different mausoleums as you can find
Designate a time and meeting place for the teams to return to. The first team to obtain the photos of the graveyard scavenger hunt items, make it back within the allotted time, and has the most points will be the winner.
- Each photo collected is worth 1 point.
- The first team to finish shall receive 5 bonus points.
- For each minute a team is late, they will be penalized 1 point.
Return To Top Of Graveyard Scavenger Hunt
Return To Scavenger Hunt Ideas For Other Scavenger Hunt Options
Return to Home Page - Birthday Party Ideas