Construction Parties For A Truckload Of Fun!
Fun And Fabulous Construction Parties
The Perfect Choice For Your Little Worker!
Be sure to start your planning early if you are going to host a construction theme party. After all, you don't want to demolish your chances of constructing a great party just because you didn't start soon enough.
To help you out a bit, I've put together lots of construction-themed ideas that will take you from the invites to the good-byes. So get ready to excavate one great party; the wrecking ball is swinging. I know you have got it in you, we just have to tunnel our way to the core of your creativity.
No need to feel overwhelmed; this party need not be a real fixer-upper. Let's get started with the following construction birthday party ideas; they will provide the perfect foundation for your little worker. You will surely be able to create a fun birthday party that your guests will dig. Rope off the party zone and we'll provide the perfect blueprint to high-rise birthday fun.
CONSTRUCTION PARTIES - IDEA FOR INVITATIONS
CAUTION TAPE PARTY INVITATIONS
– Fold black pieces of cardstock in half, creating the background for your party invitations. Then, use hot glue or tape to add caution tape to the invite, using the caution tape to make a border all the way around the invitation. In the middle of the invitation you can write, “CAUTION! YOU’RE INVITED TO A CONSTRUCTION BIRTHDAY PARTY!” Then, on the inside of the invitation write the following:
“Head on over to (last name’s) construction site!
(Date) will be dynamite!
Your construction shift begins at (Time) and there’s plenty of work to do!
Call the construction supervisor to report for construction duty (Include RSVP contact info).
Hard hats are required on the construction site!”
CONSTRUCTION PARTIES SAW INVITES
- Cut your invitations out of cardstock in the shape of saws. On one side write, "Caution! Party Zone Ahead." On the reverse side write, "Join Us For Some Ground Breaking Fun" and then put all of your party details.
CONSTRUCTION PARTIES HARD HAT INVITES
- Cut hard hat shapes out of yellow cardstock. Put on one side, "We're Building A Great Party & You're Invited." On the reverse side put all of your party details.
CONSTRUCTION-SHAPED DIE-CUT INVITES
- Cut a piece of white card stock into either two or four pieces. Glue die cuts in the shape of dump trucks, hard hats, cement mixers, tools, etc. to decorate and create your construction themed invitations. Write "We're Building Big Birthday Fun For Foreman (Name)." On the back you'll want to add all the info your guests need to know about the party.
CONSTRUCTION SIGN INVITES
- Cut yellow cardstock into two large squares. Using a black marker, draw a heavy black line around the card leaving a 1/4" yellow border. On one side, write on the diagonal, "!!!CONSTRUCTION PARTY ZONE!!!" On the reverse side, write the party details.
Suggested wording for invites:
Calling all builders, Come one, come all!
Help us dig a hole and have a ball!
Dress to work the dirt!
Decorate the corners with construction stickers.
CONSTRUCTION PARTIES - IDEAS FOR COSTUMES
Ask guests to wear construction-related clothing like overalls or jeans, with a plaid or flannel shirt, or a white t-shirt, and work boots, and suspenders.
As your little workers arrive, give them each a construction hard hat with their name written on it in black and an orange vest. You can easily and economically make these out of orange plastic tablecloths and black electrical tape.
If you'd like to take a minute and look at some photos of some construction costumes, then visit my CONSTRUCTION COSTUME
page. Perhaps one of these pics will prompt a costume idea for you to snag and call your own!
CONSTRUCTION PARTIES - IDEAS FOR DECORATIONS
Build a great foundation for your construction parties using some of the following ideas:
- Use yellow and orange "Caution" tape, which can be purchased at your local hardware store. In the alternative, you can use the birthday party version of Caution Tape instead. It also works great instead of ribbon when it comes time to wrap presents.
- Make large construction yard signs out of yellow, red, and orange poster board. Attach your signs to a yard stake and insert them into the ground. Have them read: "RESTRICTED AREA! BIRTHDAY WORKERS ONLY!", "CAUTION! BIRTHDAY PARTY AHEAD", "CAUTION! BIRTHDAY WORK ZONE" "YIELD TO PARTY WORKERS", STOP FOR A GOOD TIME"KIDS AT PLAY", etc.
- Line your walkway to the door with orange construction cones.
- Line your walkway with caution tape attached to yard stakes.
- Decorate your party room walls with some fun giant construction wall decals. After the party, transfer them to your child's bedroom walls.
- Decorate your ceilings with twisted streamers or caution tape. Add clusters of balloons in the corners and at the center of the ceiling. Hang lots of curling ribbons from the balloons.
- Cover tables with black plastic tablecloths and create a "road" on the table top using masking tape or electrical tape.
- Create a construction themed centerpiece using a dump truck, bulldozer, or tractor. Attach a bouquet of helium-filled balloons with curling ribbons. If you use a dump truck, you could fill it with some wrapped candy.
- Create traffic and construction signs out of posterboard to hang on your walls. Have them say things like "No Admittance", "Hard Hat Area", "Children at Work", "Yield", "Caution", "Danger", "Work Zone", "Construction Zone", "Work "Hazard", etc.
- Decorate your party room walls with oversized tools and blueprint pages.
- To create a construction zone atmosphere, you might consider adding a traffic light, which you could make out of cardboard and construction paper.
- If you have a non-folding wood ladder, hang it from your ceiling and then hang construction-related decorations, balloons, streamers, etc. off the rungs.
- Place saw horses around the party room to create the construction atmosphere.
- If there are some rooms or areas in your home that you'd rather not have your guests enter into, then capitalize on your theme and post "Keep Out" signs on the doors and hang "Caution" tape down hallways or across a closed door to keep people from entering.
- Hang a personalized birthday banner that has a construction theme.
- A party's not a party without a fun pinata. Be sure to add a tractor or pick-up truck pinata. They can serve as both a party decoration and used at game time.
- To create an extra-special photo-op, use a construction themed photo standee, which is a fun way to memorialize your little one's big day. As guests arrive, have each guest step behind the standee, snap their photo, and send the picture to each guest with the thank you's!
CONSTRUCTION PARTIES - GAMES & ACTIVITY IDEAS
If you are looking for a few game ideas, then you'll be glad to know (or maybe you won't) that I created a page that contains several Construction Games and Activities
. This page contains all the instructions for:
- Pin The Hard Hat On The Construction Worker
- Monster Truck Madness
- Construction Zone Obstacle Course
- Wheelbarrow Race
- Hot Tool
- Digging For Construction Treasures
- Skyscraper Success
- Wrap 'Em Up!
CONSTRUCTION PARTIES - IDEAS FOR PARTY FOOD
Make little diamond-shaped construction signs and place them by each of your dishes so everyone will know they are eating genuine construction food.
BROWN BAG LUNCH
- Pack your crew a brown bag lunch. Put your guests' names on each of the bags.
CONSTRUCT YOUR OWN SANDWICH
- Let your little workers "construct" their own sandwiches. This is a nice easy option as all that will be required of you is to set out various slices of cheese and meats, along with any condiments, lettuce, and bread.
NUTS, BOLTS, & SCREWS SALAD
- Make your favorite pasta salad recipe using the corkscrew-shaped pasta. Add some chopped walnuts (nuts) and raisins (bolts) to your salad.
- Make a pan of Jell-O using a rectangular pan. It's best to add an additional gelatin envelope so the Jell-O will firmly hold together. After it has set, cut it into mini squares and then give all your little workers several squares to use for constructing a house, building, or whatever. You can make several pans of Jell-O using different colored Jell-O's.
- Use clean toy dump trucks and clean upside down hard hats to serve chips, pretzels, goldfish, nuts, cookies, chicken nuggets, French fries, etc.
- Potato chips or Sun Chips.
- Serve rock candy that looks like pebbles.
DUMP TRUCK DIP
- Serve your favorite dip in the back of a clean dump truck.
- Carrot sticks. Trim one end to be skinny like a sharpened pencil.
- Make your favorite guacamole dip (green paint) and your favorite salsa (red paint) to go with your roadside munchies.
DYNAMITE DOGS AND BULLDOZER BURGERS
- Barbecue hotdogs and hamburgers for your little construction crew.
- Make thick vanilla shakes. Add a few drops of black food coloring to make it look gray like cement.
- Serve orange and yellow Gatorade, Kool-Aid, or Juice.
CONSTRUCTION SUGAR COOKIES
- Cut the cookie dough into construction sign shapes, frost the cookies with orange or yellow icing, and decorate them to look like construction signs. You can also, cut the dough into truck and tool shapes. Decorate your cookies with any combination of edible glitter, cake gel, sprinkles, sparking sugar, etc.
CONSTRUCTION PARTIES - IDEAS FOR PARTY CAKES
TOOL CAKES OR COOKIES
- Create various tool shapes like a hammer, saw, screwdriver, and wrench from cookie dough. In the alternative, bake a sheet cake and then cut out your tool shapes from the cake. Frost your cookies or cakes and decorate them to look like tools.
CONSTRUCTION HARD HAT CAKE
- Bake two cakes, one in a tall, round Pyrex bowl that looks like a hard hat, and the second cake in a small single layer cake pan. After the cakes have cooled, place the small cake slightly under the other cake, which is inverted to look like a hard hat. The small cake will create the hard hat rim. Frost both cakes with a bright yellow frosting and write the birthday child's name and "BOSS" before or after the name on the front of the "hard hat".
DUMP TRUCK DIRT CAKE
- Make or buy two pound cakes. Hollow out one of the cakes to create the back end of a dump truck. Be sure to leave enough cake around the edges and bottom so it still has a support system. Place the two cakes, small end to end, and cover them both with yellow frosting. Fill the back end of the dump truck with broken Oreo cookies to represent the dirt. Use small chocolate covered donuts as the truck wheels.
CONSTRUCTION SITE CAKE
- Make or buy a sheet cake. Airbrush the top in appropriate colors to create your grass, sky, roadways, and dirt areas. Then top it off with small plastic trucks, tractors, excavators, etc., along with little construction workers. Then all you need to do is to pipe out something like, "Happy Birthday Foreman (Name).
- Top a frosted sheet cake with some plastic Tonka trucks and construction equipment to create a construction scene or add a pre-made construction cake topper. Another cake topping option would be to make some tool shapes out of rolled out fondant. If you can find some cookie cutters to cut the fondant that would be the best way to achieve the look.
SANDY CONSTRUCTION CUPCAKES
– Not only will these cupcakes taste amazing, but they will look great on your tables, adding to your construction party décor at construction parties. Start by making a batch of chocolate cupcakes, or you can purchase pre-made chocolate cupcakes if you do not have the time to make your own. However, make sure that you have enough of the cupcakes for all your guests to have a minimum of one cupcake each. Frost all of the cupcakes with dark chocolate buttercream icing. In a bowl, crush up some graham crackers along with a few chocolate graham crackers to make brown sand with a bit of “black sand” for contrast. Then, dip the top of each cupcake in the “sand” while the icing is still soft. Place cupcakes in the bed of dump trucks to serve, adding a few more graham cracker crumbs around the cupcakes.
CAUTION SIGN BIRTHDAY CAKE
– Another idea for a great cake that will be a big hit at construction parties is a caution sign birthday cake. You will need to start by making a yellow cake in a 9” square pan. You can make it a double layer square cake if desired. Set the cake diagonally to decorate it so it is in the shape of a caution sign. Ice the cake in bright yellow icing and then use black icing to create a border around the edges of the cake. In the middle of the cake, use more of the black icing to write, “CAUTION! (NAME) is Turning (AGE)!” The cake is easy to make and it will look wonderful on your party tables too.
- Make or buy cupcakes and top them off with some cute little tool pics.
CONSTRUCTION PARTIES - IDEAS FOR PARTY FAVORS
If you want to put together your own favor assortment, you might want to consider giving the kids a hardhat or lunchbox filled with construction stickers, toy trucks and tractors, blowouts, Play Doh or modeling clay, plastic tools and ruler, Legos or building blocks.
YOUR Favorite Construction Party Ideas, Cakes & Costumes
Do you have some favorite construction party ideas, cakes and costumes? Do tell! Please share all your party tips and ideas for invitations, decorations, games, etc., along with your construction cakes and costumes.
Return To Top Of Construction Parties
Return To Toddler Birthday Party For More Party Themes
Return To Home Page - Birthday Party Ideas