90th Birthday Party Ideas
Fun And Fabulous 90th Birthday Party Ideas
For A Lifetime Milestone!
To Help You Celebrate This Momentous Occasion In Milestone Style!
Sound the trumpets; someone is turning 90! Don't let this once in a lifetime happening pass you by without creating a memorable event for the birthday person. Be sure to invite lots of friends, family, and create mega hoopla! Go big or go home!
With that being said, I would be remiss if I failed to remind you that the bottom line in the final analysis should be that you do what you believe your Birthday Honoree would ultimately like. However, if you just can't help yourself and you want to throw a big shindig and usher in your Loved One's 90th birthday in a big way, then keep reading and snag a few ideas for your invites, decor and party food and get ready to Par-Tay Har-Tay!
90th Birthday Party Ideas - Overview
Here are a few things to consider as you embark upon planning a way to cool 90th birthday party celebration:
90th Birthday Party Ideas
- If the birthday person truly doesn't like a lot of people around, then you might want to strive to keep the numbers down.
- If you don't plan on hosting the party at your home, then you'll want to be sure to select a location that is in keeping with the birthday person's desires. In other words, if you know that person really enjoys going to a particular restaurant, perhaps you might want to see if that restaurant has a party room that you could rent.
- Don't forget to factor in any special needs your birthday person may have. For example, if they need to use a walker or a wheelchair, then you want to be sure wherever you're hosting the party has the necessary access for them to utilize--this includes the restroom.
- Also, consider if they are a "young" 90 or an average 90-year-old, who might get a wee-bit tuckered out with too much going on. The goal is to honor them and present opportunities for them to have fun, not to exhaust them to pieces.
- If the person's health isn't quite up to par, you might consider having friends and distant relatives send you the birthday cards and/or presents, and you in turn just create a small, intimate gathering. Then you can bring all the cards and presents into the party in one fail swoop.
There are a few different routes that you can take as you commence your party planning. For example, you can focus on creating a 90th birthday party with an emphasis on the number 90, or you could focus upon the birthday person's likes and/or interests, or just opt to throw a fun birthday theme party in which you'll only be limited by your imagination.
If you're thinking of going with a theme, here's some Adult Birthday Party Ideas
for you to consider. There are several theme parties to check out, along with Over The Hill Party Ideas and a This Is Your Life Party. If you're more interested in focusing on the number 90 or the birthday person's likes and interests, read on for some 90th birthday party ideas.
First of all, it is unfortunate that there is not much out there in the wonderful world of party supplies that are geared specifically to a 90th birthday. Therefore, we're going to have to roll up our sleeves and get creative!
90TH BIRTHDAY PARTY IDEAS FOR 90TH BIRTHDAY INVITATIONS
If you are thinking that you might like to make your 90th birthday invitations, here are several ideas to help get you started:
90TH BIRTHDAY INVITATIONS
- Make a decorative "90" on the computer, print it out onto card stock, cut it out in such a way that the "9" and "0" remain attached. Write all your party details on the back.
- Using a picture of the birthday person when he/she was a child, turn it into an invite. On the picture side write, "Guess Who's Turning 90?" On the reverse side, put all your party details.
90th Birthday Party Ideas For 90th Birthday Invitations
- If your guest of honor enjoys gardening, fishing, golfing, bocce ball, etc. you might consider creating an invitation, along with the party around that particular hobby. For example, a gardening invitation could be anything from a photo of a lovely floral bouquet to a package of seeds with all the party details attached. A golfer invite could be a photo of a golf bag or create a bag of tees with the party details attached.
- Using decorative scissors cut an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of card stock into four pieces. Type or handwrite in calligraphy your party details. Hole-punch upper left-hand corner, run curling ribbon through the hole and tie to a bottle of Metamucil.
90TH BIRTHDAY PARTY IDEAS FOR 90TH BIRTHDAY GIFTS
If you're really looking to cause your Birthday Honoree to feel cherished and loved, then you'll want to make their present personal. Chances are, they've got just about everything they need or want, so it best to shoot for the heartstrings when making your gift selections. Here are some ideas for 90th birthday gifts for you to consider:
IN HONOR OF YOU DVD
- Be sure to start early on this project, or you'll be pulling your hair out at the last minute to get it all done in time. Video all of your guests ahead of time and have them each deliver a personal message to the birthday person. Then play the DVD at the party.
IN HONOR OF YOU SCRAPBOOK
- This is another project that you'll want to delve into early on to avoid unnecessary, last minute stress. Gather as many photos of the birthday honoree that highlights various events, people, etc. that have occurred throughout their lifetime. Then put it all together and create a wonderful, personalized, scrapbook that will be a cherished walk down memory lane for years to come.
90th Birthday Party Ideas For 90th Birthday Gifts
A WALK DOWN MEMORY LANE DVD
- Hate to sound like a broken record, but ya gotta start early on this one too or else you will go boo hoo! Once again, gather as many photos of the birthday person that highlights various events, people, etc. that have occurred throughout their lifetime. Then create a Power Point presentation or take it all to a professional videographer and have them put it all together and create a fantabulous DVD of their life. when you play this at the party, be sure to have someone MC so everyone knows what's going on in the pictures. This too, will be a gift that will be cherished and viewed many times in the years to come.
I LOVE YOU GRAMMIES/PAPA
- Have little guests sing a song, recite a poem, put on a little skit, all in honor of you know who. Whatever is chosen, just needs to be rehearsed sufficiently ahead of time and ultimately something meaningful to the birthday person.
90 BIRTHDAY GIFTS
- Whatever you select, just be sure to give 90 of them. For example, 90 pieces of See's Candy, 90 red roses, 90 golf balls, etc.
If you're looking for some Personalized Gifts For Grandma
or some Personalized Gifts For Grandpas
then here are some options to check out.
90TH BIRTHDAY PARTY IDEAS FOR 90TH BIRTHDAY DECORATIONS
Here are a few ideas for creating your 90th birthday decorations that you might want to consider:
90th Birthday Party Ideas For 90th Birthday Decorations
- Put a fun birthday sign in the yard to let everyone know the party location.
- Cover the front door with a colorful wrapping paper, add an extra-large bow, and a birthday greeting.
- Hang streamers in your party colors around the perimeter of the room, window frames, bannisters, etc.
- Twist two colors of streamers together and cover your ceiling or alternate two or three different streamers in rows across the ceiling.
90th Birthday Party Ideas For 90th Birthday Decorations
- Cover your ceiling with a fishing net and fill it with balloons to match your theme colors.
- Hang danglers and swirls from the ceiling. You probably won't find any that say "90", so to make it a little easier on yourself, start with a color-coordinated danger, cut off the number that appears at the bottom of the danger, create your own "90" using the instructions above for adding "90" to a "Happy Birthday" garland.
- Hang a personalized photo banner on your main party room wall or outside in your front yard so you can tell the world your birthday honoree is 90 years old!
- Hang a few poster-sized photos of your honoree on the walls that go back into time. Be sure to type up a little story to go with each photo, so everyone will understand the significance of a particular photo.
90th Birthday Party Ideas For 90th Birthday Decorations
- Create bouquets of balloons and hang throughout the party room to add festivity to the scene.
- Hang "Happy Birthday" garland throughout the party room, except add the number "90" periodically to each piece of garland. This can be done by typing "90" in a decorative colored font using a software program like Publisher. Cut them out, laminate, and tie to the garland using fishing line.
- Hang senior moment party tape throughout your party room.
- When you think about creating centerpieces, think about what the person enjoys. For example, if they are or have been a fisherman, build your centerpiece in a tackle box. Fill it with shred, add some plastic fish, tie birthday and fishing theme balloons to the box, along with lots of curling ribbons hanging off. Add colorful lures, flies, confetti, etc.
- Add tablecloths with contrasting overlays to coordinate with your party colors and sprinkle colorful confetti on the table tops.
90TH BIRTHDAY PARTY IDEAS FOR GAMES & ACTIVITIES
- Place colorful flowers in vases and display throughout your party room.
- String white Christmas lights throughout the party room to add ambiance.
- Be sure to create a photo-op area, as you won't want to miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity to have friends and family create a wonderful photo memory with your honoree.
You'll want to keep the games somewhat subdued to make it easy on the Honoree. Here are some 90th birthday party ideas for games to consider implementing:
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BIRTHDAY PERSON
- Develop a list of questions to ask all of your guests about the birthday honoree. Whoever answers the most correctly, wins the game. Questions could be birthplace, meeting someone "famous", where he/she grew up, how many grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc.
ROAST YOUR HONOREE
- If your birthday honoree enjoys laughing at himself/herself, and has a good sense of humor, you might consider creating a roast.
- When dealing with a 90-year-old, aside from living through many decades of change, you can be sure that person knows a lot of "stuff", so you might as well capitalize on that and create a trivia game based upon that person's knowledge. this will be a real test to see if your younger guests can measure up!
- Set up various games at card tables and invite your guests to play whatever floats their boat. To insure people don't get too wrapped up in the games, set a time and allow participants to play at one particular table for only 5 to 10 minutes. Possible game choices might be checkers, cards, Scrabble, or Dominos.
NAME THAT TUNE
- Divide your guests into teams and everyone plays at once. Play the first 5 to 10 seconds of a song and whoever calls out the name of the song first receives 1 point for their team. If they also know the artist, they receive 1 additional point. If they are wrong, they lose 1 point for their team and they can't guess again on that song. If no one can figure out the song from the first 5 to 10 seconds of play, then allow the song to continue playing until someone guesses correctly. The team with the most points wins!
- Printable games are always a fun game option that won't be too taxing on the honoree. If he/she doesn't wish to play, they will enjoy watching all of the frivolity.
Be sure to play music that goes back in time to your Honoree's heyday. For example, as of this writing, the birthday honoree would have been born in the 20's and he/she might enjoy hearing Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, or George Gershwin. He/she would have been in their teen in the 30's, so they might like to hear Fred Astaire or Billie Holiday. In the 40's they would have been in their 20's and "rockin' out" to Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Bing Crosby, and Count Basie, just to name a few.
- Take advantage of the fact that you have gathered together all or most of the honoree's family. Hire a professional photographer and have an extra-large (30") photo framed as a remembrance of the party.
90TH BIRTHDAY PARTY IDEAS FOR PARTY FOOD
Coming up with 90th birthday party ware is not an easy task, but these fun patterns will work nicely.
If you're looking for some ideas for Finger Foods
, I have a page that offers quick and easy, main dish, bread-related, dip-related, cheesed-based, and munchie finger foods.
If you're interested in creating Edible Centerpieces
, here's a few options to check out.
For some yummy Punch Recipes
, here's a page to whet your appetite.
Make your favorite punch and then add these fun
Frozen Smiles Ice Cube Dentures
, they are sure to put a smile on ya!
90TH BIRTHDAY PARTY IDEAS FOR 90TH BIRTHDAY CAKE
90TH BIRTHDAY CAKE
- Make your own number "90" cake with this great Alphabet Cake Pan. The pan can be used over and over again for various birthdays and special events. For a milestone birthday, use the blocks to create any number you need. If you're preparing for a baby's party and your theme is the alphabet, then use the pan to create your "ABC" Cake. This pan is timeless and you'll only be limited by your imagination.
If you don't want to go with the Alphabet Cake Pan option, then make two cakes and get your knife ready to get creative. Cut those babies out of rectangle cakes. Then frost them up in your party colors, add some edible confetti, sprinkles, fondant flowers, etc. and add a birthday message.
90TH BIRTHDAY PHOTO CAKE
- Take a picture of your honoree dating back to babyhood, a teenager, or as a young adult and have a bakery put it onto the cake, along with an appropriate birthday message.
90th Birthday Party Ideas For 90th Birthday Cake
- I found a really unique and fun idea for 90th birthday cakes. Melissa Sagaser has created a "Nugget" Birthday Cake
that is made from some craft materials, scrapbook papers, and Nugget candies. It's a great alternative to the traditional.
- Make or buy a square or rectangle cake. Cover it with white fondant. Then create a big decorative bow in a contrasting color out of fondant and lay on top of the cake. Add one of those small wire star centerpieces and a birthday message, and your "gift" will pop.
90TH BIRTHDAY PARTY IDEAS FOR 90TH BIRTHDAY PARTY FAVORS
If you would like to give your guests a few 90th birthday party favors, here are some options to consider:
- Personalized mint tins with a photo of the honoree when he/she was younger.
- Personalized bubbles.
- Mini photo of the honoree in a picture frame.
- Candy that was popular back in the day like Abba Zaba, Almond Roca, Baby Ruth, Bit-O-Honey, Boston Baked Beans, Chick-O-Stick, etc.
Have Any Amazing Ideas For A 90th Birthday Party?
Turning 90 is definitely a reason to celebrate! Fill us in with all your wonderful ideas for making this milestone b-day extra special!
Return To Top Of 90th Birthday Party Ideas
Return To Milestone Birthday Ideas
Return To Home Page - Birthday Party Ideas